Kinesio Taping is designed to facilitate the body’s natural healing process while allowing support and stability to the muscles and joints without affecting the range of motion.
HISTORY OF KINESIO TAPE
Kinesio Taping was first developed by Dr. Kenzo Kase in Japan in the 1970s. His theory was that traditional sports taping methods were effective in providing muscle and joint support but they reduced the joints range of motion and inhibited the fascia (Fascia is a sheet of fibrous connective tissue, enveloping, separating or binding together muscles, organs and other soft structures of the body).
Dr. Kase developed this tape with the opinion that it would still give joint and muscle support but the elasticity of it helped maintain range of motion and supported the fascia. He also formulated the idea that Kinesio tape would help with lymphatic drainage and can be very effective in reducing edema and swelling.
FEATURES OF KINESIO TAPE
- 100% cotton and latex free.
- Elasticity of up 30-40% from resting length.
- Medical grade, heat sensitive acrylic.
- Thickness and weight approximates that of the skin and allows the skin to ‘breathe’.
- Easily and painlessly applied.
- Allows a normal range of motion, unlike traditional taping methods.
- Can be worn for a number of days without any complications.
WHAT CAN KINESIO TAPE BE USED FOR?
- Pain Relief during pregnancy.
- Pediatric pain.
- To reduce bruising and swelling.
- To support muscles and reduce muscle fatigue.
IS KINESIO TAPE EXPENSIVE?
Application of Kinesio Tape in Pain Relief Limerick is included in consultation cost if taping is deemed necessary.
CAN I BUY KINESIO TAPE IN SPORTS SHOPS?
Yes, you can, but:
The tape you see in sports shops and pharmacies is not only very expensive but not always approved quality Kinesio Tape.
More importantly, the application of Kinesio Tape should be done only by a trained professional. There is a particular method for applying the tape and extensive knowledge of human anatomy is essential. Even with the use of youtube videos, it can be very difficult to apply the tape correctly without the appropriate training. This won’t cause any huge danger to you but will just be ineffective and essentially a waste of money.